An outdoor symposium on modern slavery was held in Perth on 10 December 2023, moderated by Fiona McGaughey, Associate Professor, University of Western Australia.
Panel member(s) from left to right:
- Dcn Greg Lowe, Director, The West Australian Catholic Migrant & Refugee Office
- Jenny Stanger, Executive Manager, Australian Catholic Anti-Slavery Network
- Shaeron Yapp, Principal Advisor of Human Rights, Rio Tinto
- Martijn Boersma, Associate Professor, University of Notre Dame Australia
- Shaeron, modern slavery is a broad term, can you talk us through what it means and perhaps give us some examples?
- Jenny, can you tell us a little about your work on modern slavery?
- Martijn, can you tell us about your role and perhaps explain how modern slavery is tackled within Australia and Australian businesses?
- Shaeron, can you tell us about what steps businesses can take to address modern slavery? Are there any effective approaches you can share with us?
- Jenny, can you share some examples with us that you have come across over your career?
- Martijn, what would you suggest needs to change for us to tackle modern slavery more effectively?
- Jenny, where should people go if they want to learn more or if they have concerns about possible situations of modern slavery?
- Martijn, what do you see as the role of academics and universities in tackling modern slavery?
- Shaeron, what are some practical steps that people can take on this issue?